21 Jul 2015

North East Creative Photographer | Corporate Photography Neednt Mean Dull

With a dash of creativity, corporate photography needn’t mean dull, stereotypical shots. I often start by thinking about where the pictures will be used. An annual report or press interview shot can require a very different feel to those used on the web or in e-DMs (e-mailshots).

Another consideration is whether to shoot in landscape or portrait. An upright shot would be no use for a web banner, although if I’ve done my job the designer can often use part of a landscape picture by cropping it. Some pictures are ideal for converting into gritty black and white shots, for a band or fashion marketing for example.

Whether I’m doing exhibition photography at the Harrogate International Conference Centre, arts photography at the Sage Gateshead on the banks of the Tyne or a networking event at a small venue I try to use my years of experience to bring something fresh to a picture, illustrating something like a speaker on stage quite simply, but in a different and engaging way.


From a designers point of view I also put some thought into how they might want to use the pictures in page layouts, and often include some space around the subject so the picture can be overlaid with words if necessary. For instance the shot where someone is reflected in the table surface would be ideal. This is a good example of a multi-purpose shot, with its fresh blue colouring and light feel making it ideal for a summer newsletter, even though it was actually shot in winter. 

Although I always carry a portable lighting set, the light conditions I’m presented with when I arrive at an event can deliver a very different look, as evidenced in the back shot taken in a dark room with the Evolution branding highlighted on the wall.

The picture taken through some vertical blinds was a group of people looking round a new building, and because I was careful to frame this visually very pleasing shot you wouldn’t know the building wasn’t finished. It’s a generic shot with many potential uses. 

At the MIMA gallery in Middlesbrough the spotlighted framed piece with vienneted edges created a striking shot that showcased the artist’s work. You could even have some fun with this style, using a client’s own picture in the same frame.  

Taking creative corporate photographs is not about getting the tight, bright shot of PR photography that newspaper and magazine picture desk editors want. For instance the shot taken from behind the man facing out towards the crowd at a Middlesbrough Business Forum event gave the viewer a bird’s eye view of proceedings and while it probably wouldn’t be used to illustrate a news story, it’s perfect for a range of other purposes and I’ve seen it used several times. 

My aim is always to take a thoughtful look behind the actual event and spot picture opportunities as I work. For example the shot of Ranulph Fiennes’ name badge was taken as part of a set to cover a talk at Crathorne Hall in North Yorkshire, for a petrochemical company based in Aberdeen.

I’m really pleased when I get comments from client and designers, who appreciate pictures that give them flexibility of use and I like to think the reason I get so many enquiries coming in from new and existing clients looking for creative corporate photography is that people can see how my pictures have a lot of mileage in them.

A professional photographer must be able to read each client, they are all different and have different expectations from a photography shoot so it’s important to add value to every single job I do.

3 comments:

  1. I could never find a good Blogspot template! So I'm on wordpress, currently waiting for a DNS update for cbegg1950.com

    ReplyDelete