17 May 2015

North East Education Photographer | Teacher First magazine photography in Stockton on Tees

I clock up thousands of miles in my job as a Teesside-based photographer - being Stockton-based I’m ideally located for major transport links, often cover commercial, education and magazine photography jobs in York, Newcastle, Carlisle and Leeds all within an hour’s travel time. Although a recent commission from a client in Cardiff was fairly short notice I was very happy to make the journey, particularly as a job which was a fair distance away had come about via the client seeing my work at www.davecharnleyphotography.com  

The Teach First organisation finds, trains and supports young people to become brilliant teachers, as part of its aim to help combat educational inequality in the UK. I was hired by Teacher First’s Manchester-based media agency to take a series of shots of a teacher at Thornaby Academy in Stockton on Tees to promote the organisation through its annual report, quarterly magazine, website and online media channels.

I had a long chat with the agency beforehand so I understood exactly what look and feel they wanted from the photography. Time spent on planning is never wasted. It gives clients reassurance that I can deliver the results they want, and helps me to formulate a plan for the style of picture opportunities I’m looking for on the day. I never leave for a job without a plan in my head.


On the day I worked with a highly regarded young English teacher Laura Travis, adopting an unstaged, magazine-style approach, taking pictures in classroom and active drama environments using natural light. Her engaging teaching style clearly went down well with students, whose parents and guardians had all signed consent forms – a very important point when photographing young people.

I was careful to make good use of space on some of the images, both to let them breathe and to help designers. Having some clear space where text can be overlaid, for instance for use on websites, is really useful.   

The two and a half hour shoot generated between 60 and 70 shots, and when I dropped off my client from the agency at the railway station, she was kind enough to give me some great feedback on how the shoot had gone. I also received a very complimentary email saying how much the agency loved the pictures. 


I was pleased to see my pictures appearing on the Teach First website within a few weeks of the job, and happy to have helped to help promote this unique organisation and its fantastic work.

No comments:

Post a Comment