2 Jan 2014

North East Professional Editorial and Press Photographer: Trusted With Confidential Information

Over the past 25 years as a commercial and press photographer in North East England I’ve been privy to some highly confidential business developments and embargoed events. 

I’ve built long term relationships with clients who trust my professionalism and discretion.
Photographing the royal family is top of my list of sensitive jobs, and I am regularly booked several weeks in advance, under strict embargo. The royals’ itineraries are quite rightly a closely guarded secret, well-organised and scripted and there is often little opportunity to check out the venue without having to explain why I want to look around. 


My background as an ex-press photographer in South West Scotland and North East England comes into play on these jobs, I am used to assessing where the best shots will be, and working quickly and with minimum fuss.

Knowing the protocol to be observed is essential when doing royal photography. Many of them are likely to go slightly off-piste when they choose, breaking away from the hand-shaking opportunities to chat to people in depth, and then it’s a case of staying unobtrusive but still getting the shot.  All north east royal photography jobs involve getting security approval from Buckingham Palace, and a press pass. The days of being sent to the Tower might be over, but it would still not do to put my foot in it - I am always conscious that I am representing my client on the day.

Some of my recent royal photography includes the Duchess of Cornwall’s visit to Teesside to support a literacy project; the Duchess of Cambridge’s visit to the Crime Reduction Initiative’s recovery centre in Stockton; and HRH The Queen’s official opening of the Tees Barrage International White Water centre near Thornaby on Teesside.


Business announcements (good news images below) such as mergers, takeovers and new partnerships are another area of photography where any hint of a leak could be disastrous. It’s vital that the photographs reflect the messages my client wants to get across, whether it’s good news or a sombre announcement about a plant closure and the loss of jobs.





Photographing children is probably the biggest minefield and an area where it’s essential to book an experienced North East professional photographer. Before I even pick up the camera I check that parent permissions are in place and all the health and safety considerations have been taken into account. 








I’ve photographed lots of school prospectuses and college brochures around County Durham, Middlesbrough, Sunderland and Newcastle, which involved taken pictures of hundreds of young people over the years, and as always, getting the best shots comes back to a level of trust between the client, the photographer and the subject. 


______________________________________________


Direct Website Link to Dave Charnley Photography







No comments:

Post a Comment